Financial Focus: Your Hidden Retirement Risk: Long-Term Care
You have spent years carefully working and planning so that you have enough income for a...
How to Make Philanthropy Fit into Your Financial Plans
One of the universal truths is that, while money can help meet your needs and provide you with the...
Traveltizers: Starstruck in Hollywood South
Some people prepare for trips by researching facts and reserving accommodations. I prepare for...
Traveltizers: United by Passion: Baltimore’s Unique Museums
One minute I'm outside the American Visionary Art Museum, gazing at a 55-foot-tall whirligig. It...
Dear Pharmacist: Grilling Lettuce Might Make You Sleepy
This summer, lots of people are barbecuing.
Tech Talk: Data Backup Considerations
Question: What are my options for backing up my computer?
In The Kitchen
Casey Holds Hearing on Scam Artists Impersonating Law Enforcement
During a July 17 U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging hearing entitled, “Combatting Robocall Fraud:...
Senior Games Rout Aging Stereotypes
Each year, the York County Senior Games have a consistent goal of building up camaraderie and...
York County Senior Games Begin June 17
- Category: Events and Reviews Events and Reviews
- Published: 07 May 2019 07 May 2019
More than 500 seniors from across York County are expected to come together in late June for the 18th annual York County Senior Games.
The York County Senior Games began in 2002 as a one-day program featuring approximately 20 events. It now extends for five days and offers participants the chance to test their skills in 48 events.
The goal is to promote healthy lifestyles and fitness for York County men and women aged 50 and older. Registration is now open for this year’s games, which will take place June 17–21.
Events will include annual favorites such as cornhole, horseshoes, shuffleboard, throws, basketball hot shots, pinochle, Wii bowling, and the seventh year of the triathlon. A new event for 2019 is pickleball.
There is a $15 registration fee for an unlimited number of events. All registrations must be postmarked by the June 7 registration deadline.
The Senior Games are organized by the York County Area Agency on Aging in conjunction with the Senior Games Planning Committee.
Any York County resident 50 years of age or older as of Dec. 31, 2019, may participate.
Registration booklets are available at many locations throughout the county or can be obtained by contacting the York County Area Agency on Aging at (717) 771-9001 or (800) 632-9073.
Registration booklets and forms are also available at www.yorkcountypa.gov/health-human-services/agency-on-aging.html on the Forms and Documents page.
Monday, June 17
• Bowling: Singles – 9 a.m. at Hanover Bowling Centre
• A Walk in the Park – 9 a.m. at John Rudy Park
• Pickleball: Men’s – 9 a.m. at Roll ‘R’ Way Skating Center
• Pickleball: Women’s – 11 a.m. at Roll ‘R’ Way Skating Center
• Bowling: Doubles – Noon at Hanover Bowling Centre
• Pickleball: Mixed – 1:30 p.m. at Roll ‘R’ Way Skating Center
• Table Tennis – 2 p.m. at Hopewell Area Recreation & Parks
Tuesday, June 18
All events at Central York High School (except mini golf).
• Opening Ceremony – 8:15 a.m.
• Bocce – Begins at 9 a.m.; specific times for age groups will be listed in registration booklet.
• Ladder Golf – Drop in between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
• Soccer Kick – Drop in between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
• Washers – Drop in between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
• Wii Archery – Drop in between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• Mini Golf – Drop in 1–5:30 p.m. at Heritage Hills
Wednesday, June 19
All events at Central York High School (except shooting).
• Running Events – 5K Walk/Run, 8 a.m.; 50-meter, 9:15 a.m.; 100-meter, 9:45 a.m.; 4x100 relay, 10:15 a.m.; 400-meter, 10:45 a.m.; Sprint Medley, 11:15 a.m.; 1600-meter, 11:45 a.m.
• Shuffleboard – Begins at 10 a.m.; specific times for age groups will be listed in registration booklet.
• Throws – Drop in between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
• Basketball Hoops – Drop in 3–5 p.m.
• Target Shooting – 1 p.m. at Izaak Walton League
• Trap Shooting – 6 p.m. at Izaak Walton League
Thursday, June 20
All events at Central York High School (except golf and horseshoes).
• 9-Hole Golf – 8 a.m. at Little Creek Golf Course
• Horseshoes: Singles – 8 a.m. at John Rudy Park
• Horseshoes: Doubles – immediately following singles at John Rudy Park
• Darts – Drop in between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• Wii Bowling – Drop in 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• 500-Bid Card Game – 9:30 a.m.
• Basketball Hoops – Drop in 3–5 p.m.
• Three-on-Three Basketball – 6 p.m.
Friday, June 21
All events at Central York High School.
• Cornhole – Drop in between 8:30 a.m. and noon
• Darts – Drop in between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
• Wii Bowling – Drop in between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
• Pinochle – 9 a.m.
• Swimming Events – Begin at 9:45 a.m. (all events follow immediately after each other): Freestyle 50-yard, Backstroke 50-yard, Breaststroke 50-yard, Freestyle 100-yard, Backstroke 100-yard, Breaststroke 100-yard, Individual Medley, Freestyle Relay 200-yard, Medley Relay 200-yard
• Poker – 12:30 p.m.
• Closing Celebration – 4 p.m. in Central York Cafeteria